Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Peek at my Place

Here is a small look at my new turf here in Peoria.

First off, here's the house just after I've finished shoveling.  I probably won't provide pictures of the front in summer, since the landscaping is ugly and the yard really needs a pick-me-up.  Due to the many mature trees, we're dealing with some extreme shade.  So I'm trying to trouble-shoot how to get the healthiest lawn in shade.  So far what I'm going to do is: aerate, dethatch, overseed with a shade-friendly species, cut at a height of at least 3", leave trimmings on the ground, and water deeply when I do.  I'm not going to dethatch until the fall, though, 'cause I hear it stirs up weed seeds.  There's also a little bare patch of mud from where work was done on some water pipes before we moved in.


Second, here's a view of the back of the house that I took through the kitchen window.  The kitchen window is sort of triptych style and fairly large, so there's a lot of light coming in, in addition to coming in from the sunlights.  We don't really have a backyard, just a narrow patio and then the land extends sharply down into a little gully.  So I have a nice view from the kitchen window, and no neighbors in the backyard.


Third, I made a headboard!  It didn't turn out exactly as I wanted (I wanted deeper pintucks), but I'm satisfied.  In May, I'm hoping we'll get a couch.  Oooooh.