Sunday, March 02, 2008

Pavel...or Alessandro Nivola?

I'm so sad. I was looking up Alessandro Nivola, to say that he looks like an adult version of Pavel/Sam, when I saw that a movie Chess was being made. I got alllll excited, thinking that this was going to be like Hairspray and Mamma Mia! and they were just continuing down the line doing Chess. But no. It's about a record producer or something.

Anyways, I think Pavel toootally looks like Alessandro Nivola.

I've installed every codec known to man, and I can watch movies that I download onto my computer, but for some reason I can't play actual legitimate DVDs that I put in my computer. I used to be able to.... And when it started not playing DVDs, it used to tell me that the correct codecs weren't there, but now it tells me that it can't be played and I should try lowering my resolution and color quality. So I've gone down and lowered both to their absolute worst possible, until my computer looks like it's from 1995, but it still gives me that same "maybe you should try lowering your resolution and color settings" message. Grr. And it's not just on one DVD that it's doing this; I've tried several.

Yesterday I was a movie glutton. First I watched Beauty and the Beast, then Cinderella, then Love Actually, and then (because I had to find out what it was like, don't laugh too hard) A Goofy Movie. And A Goofy Movie was actually a lot better than I expected it to be. If I'd watched that when it came out (I would have been 9), I bet I would have thought it was really cool...maybe. I actually remember seeing that line in the preview with the guy with the Cheez Wiz (sp?) saying, "Hey man, it's the Leaning Tower of Cheeza," and thought, I will never see that movie. And yet, 13 years later, I did.

Today might be another day of movie gluttony. Somehow my meal plan has run out for the year, and so since I'm living on PB&J and Mr. Noodles (aka Ramen), I don't need to leave my room. So I just sit, watch movies, eat, and knit. My fingers are actually really sore from all the knitting I did while watching movies yesterday.

Oh, I saw Predator! I'd only seen Predator II before. And I have to say, I think that might be the most stereotypical action movie out there. If I had to show someone the action genre in one movie, it might be that one. Except there aren't any car chase scenes or anything.

So, Friday I played in a Dylan tribute festival thing, accompanying a singer along with a clarinet and a violin. Between rehearsing that evening and fifteen minutes before we were supposed to play, all four of my pegs spun out, leaving me with strings as loose as cooked noodles. A nice guitar repairman guy helped me get them to stick (it normally takes me a day or two of sitting around cursing filing chalk dust onto the pegs to do it myself). But when I afterwards went to lower my A string a bit with the fine tuner (and I swear I was making it flat, not sharp) the bottom of the string flew completely out. I thought it had broken, and I definitely thought that since it was now really close to when we were going to play that I wasn't going to be able to get it in tune. But I did, and everything went pretty smoothly. Of course, we were the most un-Dylan-like group there, and stuck out like sore thumbs. But it went pretty well, especially considering the chaos with my strings right beforehand.

Well, today's the last day of reading week. Classes tomorrow. :(