Sunday, February 22, 2009

Oh, Boston, why?

I haven't woken up this early since....since I left Columbus for Antigonish during winter break, actually. Halifax Airport is one of my all-time favorite airports. It's small, friendly, accessible, and pretty. One of my favorite things about airports is all the windows. Even here, in the center of the room (at a convenient little counter with outlets for laptops), the entire room is saturated with light. Actually, almost the only part of this room not glass is the roof.

Upon further reflection, that's a little frightening. I would not want an action movie plot to happen around me. The chances of surviving all the broken glass flying around would be slim indeed.

I grabbed a cab to the airport today, and I feel like a bit of a wuss as a result. But I didn't want to wear my winter boots all day in the airport, and even though I only had my one rolly suitcase, I wasn't sure....well, I had my reasons! And I took a cab.

One of the best words I've heard recently is Trifluvian. I was reading about Trois-Rivières, and eventually the author addressed its residents, and out popped.... Trifluvians. It's almost worth reading this incredibly boring book on Local Responses to Canada's Great War just to get a happy little jolt every time I come across Trifluvian.

Well, all of these pleasant reflections on airports are coming crashing (lol) down around me, as I wait to find out what's happening with my flight, since the one I'm waiting for is grounded in Boston, and I'll be missing my connection. Not that bad, not that bad at all. I'll wait to complain until it's three days later, and I'm still sitting here. I just shouldn't have been so fast to eat that second peanut butter and jelly sandwich I packed. For some reason I stocked up on food when I came, though, so I still have granola bars, SunChips, an orange, and a couple of little pieces of chocolate floating aorund.

I should just view this as an excellent opportunity to be forced to work on my paper.