Thursday, February 07, 2008

What is this strange feeling? Optimism?

Okay, now that Ben's talked about it openly, that's sort of opened the door for me. I've also been watching the Yes, We Can video over and over. I actually got goosebumps watching it. And I have this weird, completely genuine feeling of hope. Normally, I don't care who the politician is, I just don't really trust what they say or how they seem. It just all feels like rhetoric that doesn't mean anything, like there's nothing behind their words.

But...man, I'm feeling downright inspired. I can't really get across how odd it feels to be hopeful about politics in this weird, sort of idealistic way. Having felt this way, the title of his book The Audacity of Hope makes so much more sense. Hoping like this really does feel audacious.

If you're youtubing him, as everyone seems to be (Jaime), I hope you watch his little dance on Ellen.

Okay, I know what this feeling is. It's believing in something. I know that sounds so cheesy, and I almost feel guilty being this idealistic about something, but this feels amazing!

Ben much more succinctly said that he was hoping and believing. Even though he said it in his blog entry, I still identified that that's what I as feeling only as I was writing this. Odd.

This is Therese as we sat watching Super Tuesday together. She was taking notes on what was going down. She won't be happy that I posted this picture.

And in case someone has managed to ignore this video so far, and didn't go to Ben's blog, here it is: