Friday, January 04, 2008

A Day of Traveling

Well my friends, yesterday was rife with blogging material. What does that mean? It means a lot of crap happened. I think that's my first time using the word "rife" in text and not just speaking. Hurray!

Happy new years, btw.

So, first off. Plane to DC: delayed. But not insanely. Just enough to make my tight layover tighter, especially considering I had to take a shuttle. A note on the shuttles at IAD: They are amazing and weird. They remind me of the sandcrawlers (had to look that name up) on Tattooine. Everyone is probably completely used to these things, but I had difficulty not laughing with glee while I was on them. That's not true. I had difficulty not shouting at hte guy driving it to get going, or I was going to miss my flight. Anyways, shuttle....or sandcrawler?
So, I slipped into my gate just as they were announcing the final boarding call. Yay! But it turns out I needn't have worried, because we ended up sitting there for an hour while some glitch with the computer system that keeps track of the bags was worked out. At this point, I was getting kind of worried about missing my bus (but not that worried, 'cause there was another two or three hours after the 5:15). So we got in to Halifax, and I thought, "I can make this fine, just zip through customs and on we go." But no, I got randomly selected for the bag check where every tiny little thing is taken out of your bag in a haphazard manner (I had to not cry out as my knitting projects and all yarn were tossed carelessly to teh side with stitches falling off of needles everywhere and the yarn getting into a tangled mess).

The unsmiling girl who was taking care of this destruction actually managed to wedge open a bit of that ancient rolly suitcase, and lo and behold, what did I see but an old dart from the blowgun from Brazil from....what is that...twelve years ago? Oh how I loved that blowgun. I managed to keep inside my squeal of glee and not say, "Hey, that's a dart from my old blowgun from Brazil!!" To a casual glance it just looks like an old, gross, one-sided Q-Tip-->
Plus, it was wedged in teh weirdest place. Actually, if I had to try and get drugs across, I suppose that is where I would try and put them. She ought to have been more suspicious, perhaps.

Anyways, so while she was tearing my bags apart, the bus left. So I went and bought a ticket for teh 7:45 to Antigonish, but the guy forgot to give me the actual ticket, which I realized while I was eating perhaps the foulest burger ever imagined. So after amazingly not dying of food poisoning, I went back and hoped that he remembered me, since I didn't have a receipt or anything. He acknowledged it was his fault (yay!), and I proceeded to finish The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.

Bus ride, couldn't sleep, nice bus though. So, 10:30pm and I was back on campus. It was quite cold and snowing heavily, so I was happy that I decided to wear my snow boots and that I knit that hat last night and then didn't give it to Julie that morning. I dragged my bags through the snow to my dorm...which was very locked. I went around to every sneaky door I could try, and everything was locked. So I left my bags outside teh door while I went on a hunt for a place to stay. I ended up outside Tim's house, and only one roomie was home, but he was fine with me staying. So I walked back up to campus, and dragged my bags back down to Tim's place (my hands are blistered from carrying them).

Everything has worked out fine since then, except that their wireless was kept secure, and I didn't want to bother Brock about the password, so I didn't have any internet until now. And now I am sitting in the students' union building feeding off campus wireless. And getting calories from a Pepsi which exploded when I opened it, making my hands and therefore my keyboard and touchpad three times as sticky as they were, Ben K. Now you can whine about how sticky and gross it is.

So, that was my day of traveling. I'm happy it's over. And I hope I can get into my dorm tonight.