Wednesday, January 30, 2008

catch-up

Well, I'm slightly out of money. So in order to feed my morning coffee and cinnamon crispie addiction, today I picked the change up off of my floor and paid for it in dimes.

Yesterday was a day when I kind of felt like I was losing my mind. Does everyone have these days? It's easier for them to happen when I'm alone. Generally, as soon someone else comes by and starts talking to me, I get snapped out of it.

There were a combination of factors that caused my day of insanity. A couple of weeks ago I read Hills Like White Elephants, and I've been reading A Farewell to Arms in small doses. This is my first exposure to Hemingway, and I can kind of see now why Hemingway is the big deal that he is. I suppose that kind of thing is just personal taste, though. Anyways. I noticed that after reading I was getting kind of down. So I shortened to only reading a chapter a time in a sitting, to not get too sucked in. But yesterday, I kept reading, and got amazingly depressed. It wasn't even like there was something specific in the book. Who knows, maybe it wasn't the book. But I had that thing where it felt like my mind was falling apart in pieces, and I was just holding it with my hands wondering if this is what people feel like as their insanity slips away. To make matters worse, since my computer was dead, I went to teh computer lab to get on the internet, but computer labs are not a place to be happy. Sure, the Macs are a happy, clean, white. But when you're depressed it ends up coming across as a sterile, cold, unfeeling room full of white filled with scary unfeeling white computers all in their neat rows. And that's when I put my head in my hands and tried not to cry.

However! Therese hid A Farewell to Arms, and the sun came out today, and everything has been lovely. Haha, I don't know how the clinically depressed manage it, because that is AWFUL. I can't imagine day in and day out being like that. Sorry for the detailed description which was probably none too fun to read.

To make up for it, I present a happy song...which I know everyone knows...but it's been today's happy song.





My computer died a couple of days ago. It took a surprisignly long time to find a Windows XP CD, but Darcy totally came through in the end. I even fixed it all by my lonesome, for which I am very proud. Even though I think that all I had to do really was stick the CD in. :-P Still, though, give me whatever credit you can.

It is amazing how hard it is to get by without a computer. But I made it allllmost three whole days.

In other news:

I signed a lease! Yay!!!! Next year I will be living in this fine castle of a home on Orchard Terrace. It's about half the distance that Xavier Dr (where I lived last year) was from school, which is good, but it's not too close to campus either. I'll be living with the amazing Miss Sarah Furey, as well as her friend (and hopefully soon to be my friend) Stella, who is currently in Halifax but is coming to StFX next year.