Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Coffee + more

There's a little hole in the wall in the academic building in which I spend almost all of my time. This hole in the wall serves a soup, sandwiches, muffins, bagels, cold drinks, and coffee. It's really convenient and almost once a day I'll stop between classes and get a small coffee and a muffin. Coffee's the cheapest drink there, and they have a couple of options. That's how I discovered that I think amaretto is repulsive, as well as hazelnut whatever, and Columbian's fine. What I like is Irish Cream coffee.

As Sam can testify to, this coffee is not exactly good. It has a pretty fast turnover rate, but it's still almost always pretty burnt. In fact, I didn't even realize how bad the coffee was until---today! I'm sitting here with a cup of Irish Cream coffee that isn't burnt. It tastes really really good.

I suppose I should mention that I don't actually drink coffee. I drink milk with a lot of sugar and a liiiiittle bit of coffee in there somewhere. So, that was my pleasant coffee surprise today. I suppose I should start reading my textbook for tomorrow's midterm...shucks.

Edit:
All the rooms in Nicholson Hall (the building where almost all of my classes are) are set up lecture-style. The basic room slopes from the front up to the back, and professors stand at the front with a little podium on a desk and lecture. The chairs have those itty bitty attached desks and are placed so closely together that you touch elbows with your neighbor, and can't walk down teh row without your butt inevitably hitting someone in front of you in the head. I'd say these rooms can accomodate about....40-60 people. So far, each of my classes has been in one of these rooms (with the exception of art, of course, where there are only 12 or so people). It's rare for a science course to be in one of these classrooms. There are three large lecture halls, where arts classes are never held, and they can hold 100+ students. There's such beautiful anonymity in those huge lecture halls. Sometimes I sit in on classes there just for fun. Go genetics! Aaaanyways. I'm in the medium-sized, packed like sardines lecture hall. And I'm excited for 3rd and 4th year, because as my psychology courses grow increasingly specialized, I should inevitably end up in one of the small rooms in Nicholson. These are rooms where there are three tiers in a u-shape around where the prof stands. On the tiers are really big desks, and there are no more than 15-20 people in a class. I can't wait to have a class in here and spread out my texts and notebooks across them, and rest my elbows on it while I listen. Is that sad? For now, I'm satisfied as long as someone doesn't sit next to me, so I can put my backpack in the seat and not on the ground.