Saturday, February 17, 2007

Hedgies

I want a hedgehog! Hedgehogs have held a certain amount of fascination for me for years. Maybe it's the little ball they curl up into, I don't know. Conveniently, there are hedgehog "rescues" in both Santa Fe and Columbus. I think I'm kind of sold on the idea of actually getting one. All those horrified at the idea of me owning a pet speak now.

But seriously. Here are my thoughts.

Housing:
-aquarium (I could build him something so much cuter)
-wood chips
-maybe a little wheel
-9"x6" litter box (easy scoop cleanup!)

Food:
-dry cat food
-occasional cricket or earthworm treat (I might have some qualms about feeding him a worm. I love those guys)
-occasional veggie or cooked meat treat

There don't seem to be vaccinations and lots of expensive stuff like cats and dogs need. And I think that if I took it to a vet and got a permit to bring it across, the Canadian and US border would be fine. That's really the only reason why I wouldn't get a pet right now. That stupid border. Maybe I could smuggle him back and forth. They're pretty small.

Look at that face. Adorable!