Sunday, May 27, 2007

Funny...I think.

On Saturday in Santa Fe, Anne, Jennie, and I were all in the bathroom for some reason, and don't ask me how but the subject of aluminum in deodorant came up. I think that Jennie was recommending her all natural deodorant to me...something like that. I said that I was comPLEtely apathetic about that sort of thing. Couldn't care less. Both Anne and Jennie adamantly informed me how much I should care. To which I still didn't care. Oh right. Correct me if I'm wrong, here. The case against aluminum in deodorant is that it causes Alzheimer's, right? I was a bit skeptical of this in the first place, because I remember (vaguely, in the back of my mind) hearing an "expert" saying that people may be making a correlation does not imply causation mistake. Cum hoc ergo propter hoc, just to make it official. Cart before the horse sort of thing.

So I looked it up online, very briefly, and found many regular people giving very dire warnings about the dangers of using deodorant with aluminum in it. With many typos. So I went to Google scholar, and found that studies found no association between a lifetime of deodorant use with aluminum in it and Alzheimer's.

Hmm, at this moment I'm thinking that maybe Jennie and Anne were warning about breast cancer and not Alzheimer's in relation to antiperspirant use...so I'm reading those studies now. Results: Studies have mixed results. Those that did find a correlation between antiperspirant use and breast cancer found that it was in combination with shaving. Those that started shaving and using antiperspirants earlier and use them the most frequently tend to be diagnosed for breast cancer earlier. Antiperspirant use in conjunction with shaving...honestly, those are two things that I really want to do on a regular basis. I think there's a serious confound in this study, though. There could be a difference between women who shave and use antiperspirant every day versus those who use them less frequently. If the study's depending on these women finding breast cancer via breast self-exams or visits to their gynos, then women who shave and use antiperspirant more frequently may also do breast self-exams/visit their gyno more frequently. Unless they controlled for that. If it was required that the women came in every six months/year to be examined for the study, that result would seem a lot stronger to me.

Anyways, I should not give a title for an entry before writing it, because this isn't funny at all. The POINT of this entry was that two days later, as I was applying my deodorant (as I do every single morning, after shaving every single morning) I looked down, and what should I see but a huge sticker saying, "0% ALUMINUM." Despite my apathy, a month ago I picked up a deodorant (though I prefer antiperspirants + deodorants) with no aluminum. Maybe God's trying to keep me from breast cancer and Alzheimer's. Thank you, God!

:-P

Oh, and the day after Anne and Jennie warning me, two huge bubbles were on my bar of soap, making it look exactly like a soap mouse. The bubbles looked like its eyes. And Dial is shaped sort of like a mouse. ...Sort of.

I was so tempted to jump out of the shower and take a picture to show everyone. Reasons I didn't: Naked, wet, get my camera wet, cold, probably someone in my room. Still, I was really tempted.