Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Triumphant!

I absolutely love love love the backwoodsy Maine BMV. I was all nervous, thinking that they were going to make me take the road test (I suck at maneuverability, picture lots of mutilated, squished orange cones beneath my tires. Very macabre.) since my license was out of state and expired (a bad combo). I just walked in, waited for a nice old man to stop chatting with the woman (there were no number tickets given out to tell you your order, or illuminated numbers over the people's desks saying who's next. I hate that. Sitting there, waiting hours for your number to pop up.), sat down, said, "I'd like to renew my out of state license," and that was that. Paid my fee, checked my eyes, signed my name a couple of times, took my picture, and it's coming in the mail. Of course, I'll be even happier once I'm holding my license. However, I am feeling some immense personal pride, that I accomplished such an independent adventure. Making myself actually gather all my documents, and leave the house for the BMV, knowing that I didn't really know where it was, and that I would have to talk to people, and that I would (I thought) have to take a road test where I might knock over a cone, took considerable shyness conquering. Getting over that horrible dread enough to actually do it. Anyways, that's my victory. Which means I can have insurance, now. Yay!!!