Thursday, December 21, 2006

Christmas: Part I

You know how discouraging it is when you write something, and you like it, and then you lose the whole thing, and rewriting it again the same way just seems impossible, and it's not as good, and you're just so sad? That just happened. So, here's my horrible, re-written not as good version. What a good excuse for mediocrity.

Every holiday season, the Merry Christmas versus Happy Holiday debate comes up, and I've never given an opinion in that all-consuming, life and death argument. I used to think that it was because I was either too lazy or didn't think that either side really had it right. Then I realized the the reason I never give an opinion is because to strangers, I never say Merry Christmas. I never say Happy Holiday. I just say, "Have a nice day!" I suppose that if I saw a stranger on Christmas Day, I might say Merry Christmas. But when was the last time I saw a stranger on Christmas Day? I actually can't remember ever seeing a stranger on Christmas Day. Is that weird? I can't remember ever leaving the house on Christmas. Actually, does midnight church count? I've done that a couple of times. But really, I'm with family or members of church, on Christmas Day, so I say, "Merry Christmas." And that's the end of the story for Mandy.

On Tuesday, Anne and I converged on Dad's house. Despite the fact that it's vacation, I actually feel like we've spent the majority of our time productively. My back hurts. Ben, Jaime, Moira, and Evie arrived today at 4:45 am. Being the wonderful, caring sister and aunt that I am, I waited up until they were actually here. The next morning, I got up at 8:30. No big deal, right? Well I've been getting twelve hours of sleep a night, minimum, and to go from that to the 2.5/3 hrs I got last night was pretty harsh. So, I am....wilting. We started a puzzle today, and I periodically fall into a daze, staring into space. I am languishing.

Ooh, last night, Dad, Anne, and I went to see Charlotte's Web. May I just say, it was amusing sitting in the theater, the only discernible group that didn't have at least one child with it. Charlotte's Web: Thumbs up. Well done. And what a bizarrely packed cast. Listen to this: Julia Roberts, Steve Buscemi, John Cleese, Oprah Winfrey, Cedric the Entertainer, Kathy Bates, Reba McEntire, Robert Redford, Thomas Haden Church, Andre Benjamin, Sam Shepard, and Dakota Fanning. That is ridiculous. Anyways, it had funny parts, and I laughed really loudly by myself in the theater, and at one point, the little boy sitting in front of me turned around and gave me a dirty look! Excuse me? I may have a loud, spontaneous laugh, but two seconds ago you were sitting there going, "It's a rat! It's raining! It's funny, 'cause he's a rat!!" Riiiight, and who should be given the dirty look here? I think that laughing is appropriate moviegoing behavior. I would like to point out that this was not a prolonged laugh or anything. I laughed, and it was done. Maybe I frightened him. I could see that. I am a pretty scary person. Rawr.

Today we polyurethaned the bathroom doors, so now we'll be able to put doorknobs on and properly close them. Luxury!! We also put up the tree and decorated, and it looks really nice. A Christmas tree looks so cute all decorated with presents underneath it. And it was nice unpacking all the ornaments and feeling very at home and normal. Still waiting for a couple of presents to arrive, but other than that, all my packing is done.

I have a busted taste bud on the very tip of my tongue, and it hurts so much. :(