Sunday, October 21, 2007

Amazing THINGS

Do you ever think that there aren't any romantic moments in your life the way there are in the movies? Like, I think that often people wish that their life were a little more romantic. We see all these romantic pictures and scenes in movies, and think, "Man, why can't that be me?" I think often times we are in those situations, but the romance is clouded over by other things. For instance, in this classic photo:

Maybe the guy is enjoying it, but the girl is thinking, "Ugh, ow, this is such an awkward angle. Can't I stand upright while we're doing this? And I know you're really happy to see me, but now I've got to figure out what's going on with me and that infantry guy, and make up my mind, and I'm all worried about that." Looks much less romantic from inside her mind, doesn't it.

And these guys, for instance. You're kissing in the snow, and isn't it all romantic, but really your fingers are freezing, and you can feel the cold wet snow seeping in through the back of your wool coat.

So, I think if we had cinematographers/photographers following us around everywhere, we'd all have these beautiful, romantic moments that we all want. We'd just have to ignore the way we were feeling at the time.

But! That's not to say that sometimes there are very romantic moments going on that have nothing to do with teh scenery, and you're sitting there feeling all warm and fuzzy, but if someone took a photo right then, it'd be teh most boring shot ever. Ah well. Enough of this romance vs. appearances rant.

Today was a fabulous day. The temperature was mild, the wind was strong, and the clouds were variable.

Really, it was variable cloudiness, but it just made the day more beautiful. A sky is never as beautiful with no clouds as it could be with them. Clouds are the spice of my life. A very white-grey, fluffy spice.

Darcy (my lab partner from Brain and Behavior, some of you will recall) took me out on a hike, since I'd mentioned that I have no clue where to go around here for paths and such. That might seem like a funny thing to say, since if you look out the window, what do you see but woodedliness. Anyways! He obligingly showed me a walk that's more than accessible from the university on foot.

It was a really lovely walk. I wish I'd stopped more to take photos of some of hte great views, but alas, I didn't. We paused for a bit by this little pond. This photo doesn't do it justice though, 'cause there's a hill to the right and behind, making it feel quite secluded. The air smelled like pine trees. And that's never a bad thing. Halloween's coming up. Costume suggestions welcome.