Saturday, October 27, 2007

today's story

There's a cafe in town called The Tall and Small. They make really good smoothies and sandwiches. It is the only place I know of in town that has an actual cafe atmosphere. I hear there's a place called The Dragonfly down the highway, but I've never been there, and I think it might be out of walking distance. Plus, I hate hate hate walking along the highway. Anyways! I really like The Tall and Small. And this year, I haven't been there yet. I keep trying to go, and things keep getting in the way.

So today, I thought, would be the day. Nick, Chris, and I headed down for lunch. We were there, when lo and behold--they were closed!! At two pm on a Saturday. I knelt in the street, tore my clothes, and covered myself in ashes. It was pretty brutal.

My second thought was Tim Horton's, and I was really bummed at the thought of exchanging The Tall and Small for Tim Horton's. However, Nick suggested the pub. They typically have really decent food, so I think we were all happy with this option.

(I just took my trash out, and it looks like someone was bleeding alcohol as they walked down the hall based on the trail of beer out there. Tonight is the night for all the Halloween partying. The noise was unbearable for a while, but they've moved on to the bars, thank goodness.)

So! We get to the pub. And discover that the chef, who is apparently German, is celebrating Oktoberfest. He had all these ingredients special ordered just for today, so I got a platter with bratwurst, schnitzel, cabbage roll, sauerkraut, applesauce, and mashed potatoes (though not with spicy mustard), and it was all delicious. I mean fantastic. It was the best accident ever. While we were there a little brass quintet or something came in and started playing polkas, and people were bringing in their steins to be filled at the bar, and it was just a great, fun, atmosphere. And so RANDOM, because this place (this place being Antigonish) is all about Scottish Scottish Scottish Scottish, plus the random moments when they're all about being Irish, because they really seem to be a bit Scottish-Irish confused.

Last night I did my dressing up, and just hung out at Chris and Nick's. All the photos are on Facebook, so you can check them out there in my StFX 2007-2008 album (which is about to be made Part I, with a Part II album added, running out of space). But! For those of you (Jennie) who aren't on Facebook, here I am as Radical Edward. I couldn't find proper orange hairdye, so I had to make do with that spray on kind. And I didn't realize that that kind of thing can set off smoke detectors. Heh, whoops.

And here is Sarah (not in costume), me, and Kristen. Kristen's robes have "Dubya was here" drawn on them like graffiti, as well as "Iran or bust" written over With Liberity and Justice for All. She's a poli sci major. :-P)