Wednesday, October 31, 2007

a little post and a lot of quotes

I've been itching to post for ages, but somehow the time escapes me. That's odd, considering that I really feel like I do nothing.

First, let me say. If there are three bathroom stalls in a row, who in their right mind goes in and picks the middle stall? You go in, all three are empty, and you pick the middle stall? I walked into the restroom, and this girl was in the middle stall, forcing me to pick a stall next to where she was. If, like a normal person, she had chosen one of the end stalls, I could pick the other end stall, and we wouldn't be in a stall next to each other. But no. She forced me to go into a stall next to her, whoever this girl was, because of her poor stall-picking choices. Wow, I've been calling these stalls the entire time, but now that word sounds completely wrong. Anyways, yes, this is just about one of the weirdest things to decide to care about...possibly ever.

hmm...if this were one of those bathroom stalls where the dividing walls were three inch concrete and went all the way down to the floor and up to the ceiling, that would be fine.

Second, I know everyone and their mother is familiar with Milgram's famous shock experiments, and they're always brought up in discussion of ethics. I can't tell you how many times I've heard how unethical these experiments were, and how they can never be repeated (except for that one guy who semi-replicated them recently with a little twist, but ignore that). They're held up almost as a shining example of ethics violations. However! I would repeat the Milgram experiment in a second. Ethics be damned.

Time for some professorial quotes:

Dr. Watt, Abnormal Psychology

You're worse than offenders. Inmates trust me more than you guys.

We used to be able to do all sorts of wonderful things as psychologists. We gave people LSD and made little babies frightened of white fuzzy things. Those were the good old days, before ethics boards.

There's something fundamentally wrong with me.

I could have a dance in my waiting room (she was talking about how oddly large it is)

I've threatened my husband he's not to post nude photos of me on Facebook is there's a breakup.

Dr. Watt: And what happened?
student: Sprained ankle. It's your fault.

Looong long story short, she ended up in prison (talking about girl's parents who reinforced her behavior by taking her out of school)

Ideas for solution to hypothetical situation on how to get a girl with sudden onset of a fear of flying onto the plane (so clearly the usual options aren't possibilities):
-Just put her in the plane.
-Sedate her and force her in the plane. As long as she's alive it's okay.
-Are you going to induce PTSD to get her there?
-We'll pay for the therapy later!

A really engaging, really bright, quite psychopathic young girl.

Dr. Henke, Brain and Behavior

Make sure they teach you right. (I don't remember this context at all)

It's pretty hard to see the difference between three and four. You gotta have imagination to see it, and I don't have it. So I just call it three and four. (talking about sleep)

I'm on the way down as far as neuronal growth.

Henke: I'm like a border collie...circling...
student: ...sheep?
Henke: Sheep?! Why sheep? Why not goats?!

DISINHIBITION!!!!!

Dr. Edwards, History and Theory of Psychology

Not you clever people in here, thinking deep thoughts from morning til night, but those wombats out there on the street.

Gorgeous Gorgias.

What a wacko guy that Thoreau was.

They spend their time twiddling their thumbs until the grim reaper comes.

I have a neighbor...well, actually, he's dead now, thank God.

You know nothing, you know nothing, you know nothing.

Our souls at one time dwelt in the halls of innocence and purity. I don't know where that is. Somewhere outside of Pomquet, I imagine.

....some asshole, covered in tattoos, drinks all day, and is cruel to small animals, can be elected.

We are all acorns in a forest, essentially.

There are questions that will drive you to drink. If you're lucky.

He wound the clock and buggered off to another galaxy to try some other species (God).

Dr. McCormick, Treatment of Data in Psychological Research

I don't get many good quotes from stats, these are all of them for the year so far.

T is incredibly robust! It can take these kinds of violations.

'Psychology is where all teh dumb science students escape to.' ...No! I didn't say that!!

Ah yes, the old classic before and after.

People tend to screw up on my first exam not because they're not capable, but because they freak out.

Dr. Lomore, Junior Seminar

Good quotes from here are also pretty rare.

talking about the Nazi medical experiments on prisoners
Lomore: So what was wrong with this ethically?
student: Participation probably wasn't voluntary.

Syphilis, hepatitis, AND tearoom sex study!!

There you go, fellatio and orgasm all in one breath.