Thursday, October 05, 2006

Happy Anniversary....to Tim and me!

Today, Tim and I have been dating officially for one year. Yay! I made him a kickass photobook on shutterfly.com of pictures of us chronologically throughout the last year, and he wrote me a sweet poem. It was a very nice poem. Much better than I could have ever done. And no, I'm not sharing it. :-P

Tonight, we're not going to a crazy nice restaurant. A) We can't afford to go to a crazy nice restaurant and B) We are going back to the pizza place we went to on our first date. It's nicer than the average pizza place that comes to mind. Anybody know Pizza Delight/ite/whatever? Maybe Faith does. It's a Canadian chain that's sort of like Boston Pizza, but I think Boston Pizza might be Canadian too, despite the "Boston" in its name. Aaaanyways. Take the sports bar out of Boston Pizza, and that's what Pizza Delight/ite/whatever is like. And that's where we're going. The end. And I *will* get a ridiculously bad for me chocolate concoction for dessert, thank you.

Awesome news: My one Friday class (Research Methods and Statistics for Psychology) was cancelled! WERD! Why, you ask? Because this is Thanksgiving weekend, and my professor is as slack as we are! WERD! Canadian Thanksgiving falls on Mondays, which is too bad, because the uni only gives us Monday off. As a result, everyone goes home for Thanksgiving, but doesn't actually spend Thanksgiving with their family, because they all have to drive back on Monday to be in class on Tuesday. How annoying is that? Very annoying. Answering your own rhetorical question = fun. So, Tim's family invited me over for Thanksgiving, and after last year's Thanksgivingless debacle, I'm very excited. I'll help out with cooking, and make cranberry relish, and thousands and thousands of PIES!!!! YES! Maybe an applesauce gingerbread thing too. Or is that too Christmas-y? Oh well. So, tomorrow, when Tim's finished with classes (about five o'clock), we'll head out and drive back to Rothesay, New Brunswick. Yay!
I've often wondered what *exactly* Canadian Thanksgiving celebrated, so I asked quite a few of my friends. "What is your Thanksgiving for?" I ask. "Uhhh,I dunno," is the response I got from many. I mean, of course there's Thanksgiving to give thanks, but I wanted nitty gritty details. Americans had that super-hard winter and almost died, so they were super-freaked out happy when they had their first successful harvest the next year. So I went online. Ahhhh, the internet. My muse. (My muse? I don't know.) I clicked on the first website that came up when I typed in "Canadian Thanksgiving." And what did the website say? "Unlike the American tradition of remembering Pilgrims and settling in the New World, Canadians give thanks for a successful harvest." Because the only aspect of American Thanksgiving is remembering Pilgrims and Indians? It's not as though we were giving thanks for a successful harvest or anything. I just thought that website was really funny. Especially since the website goes on to say that Thanksgiving came to Canada with the British Colonial Loyalists who went North, so it's essentially the American Thanksgiving that Canada inherited, then subtracted the pilgrims and Native Americans. And it just sounded like that website was saying that as opposed to the Americans, we're celebrating a successful harvest.

I know, this is absolutely not a big deal, and the web site was probably just trying to make the distinction that they're aware that they don't have the whole Pilgrim and Indian thing going on. I just...started ranting.