Sunday, April 01, 2007

Easily Impressed

Well, it takes anything forever to reach Nova Scotia, so don't laugh at me when I'm amazed at new things. The new thing I'm amazed at: A movie rental store. It's been around on the corner of Main and Hawthorne for a while, but I never went. I took a step inside today, however, and was amazed. The whole store takes up about 15 sq ft, and is basically an empty room with an ATM-style machine. You put your store card in the machine, select a movie to buy or rent from the screen, take your card over to the movie dispenser, insert, and your movie comes out of a slot in a neat little plastic case. Want to return it? Put your card in, and the slot sucks the movie back in. And since it's just like an ATM, the store is open 24/7. This is amazing!! Even better: The house I'm living in next year is about 50 feet down the street from this place, which has a convenience store sharing the building with it.

Technology: Continually decreasing my need for human contact. Thank you!

However, I did have a very Independent Mandy moment the other day. I bought a slipcover for a hideous trashpicked chair from WalMart. There was only one option, and the end cost, including taxes, was $86. It looked all neat and cute on the packaging, but when I got it home and on the chair, it turned out I'd bought a hideous slipcover for my hideous chair and paid an outrageous $86 for it. I normally never return anything, but I absolutely had to return this sad excuse for a slipcover when I paid that much for it. So, there's not much of story here. I returned it. But that's the story: I returned it! Go me!

Tim and I went out to Pizza Delight for dinner, and there was this huge (for Antigonish) line, because a kids hockey team with all their parents was waiting to be seated. Meanwhile, the line was stacking up behind us. A little kid came in with his grandma, who was trying to keep him entertained during the wait, and explained that everyone had to wait for a table to be free. The kid goes to the restroom, which is at the back of the restaurant. He comes sprinting back to the front to his grandma to proudly declare, "I found a table! There's an empty table back there!" and proceeded to try and drag his grandma to his find. It was really cute.