Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Stanley Cup?

I've embarrassed myself quite a few times by not being culturally clued in. At first, hockey was one of these things. Two years after arriving in this fair, cold (why won't you warm up by now???? Come ON!) country, I'm really starting to appreciate hockey. When you watch it with no previous hockey watching experience, it all just looks like sort of boring mayhem. Crazy skill can be happening in front of your face, but you don't recognize the beauty of what you're seeing, and think that hockey's just a little bit not special.

Now, though, I can appreciate the organization behind what appears to be mayhem, and how surprisingly coordinated everyone is. Since I've been learning to appreciate hockey in this northerly Canadian clime, I find that I've also been adopting a love of practically any Canadian team. In the playoffs, I'm cheering for every Canadian team to move on to the next round. Particularly the Canucks, Senators, and Flames.
After trying to go into the butterfly position, like any goalie, I have respect for their knees. Ow!

The only thing that I don't like about hockey: The fighting. It's part of the game. The refs ren't even supposed to break it up until the players fall down on the ground, and then they can intervene, most often ineffectively. It's unfortunate. I really don't like it.Aaaand there's a player on Vancouver's team whose name is Ryan Kesler. Just putting that one out there. So now the Stanley Cup playoffs have begun, everyone is growing their playoff beard who is capable of growing one, and I have been watching hours, hours, and hours of hockey every day. Go Sens and Canucks!