Thursday, April 05, 2007

Happy Easter!

Well, I'm heading over to Saint John for the long weekend, so blogging will be scarce.

With the exception of Anne, everyone's Happy Birthday Mandy picture was from winter break. I find that pretty funny. Was it for up-to-dateness' sake? Of course, I appreciate everyone's sweet happy birthday wishes. The Youth Philharmonic story Anne told was in fact very traumatic, and a day that would be nice to forget. I was horrible to Mom, and at the time thought that my trip to visit Ben in St. Andrews, as well as all of my books, were being taken away from me. Much crying followed. But there was NO way I was going back to that orchestra. (I would like to add that this was the beginning of a new season, not in the middle.)

Okay, I can't resist telling the background of why I didn't want to go. I got into the orchestra thanks to Mrs. Moore, my cello teacher, who told the conductor that I was good enough. And the orchestra may have been the "Youth" Philharmonic of Central Ohio, but I was far and away the youngest. Everyone had many friends from their respective high schools, and combine that with my shy attitude (especially then) and I was definitely not making any friends. I spent my free time looking over the music, taking trips to the drinking fountain, and waiting for rehearsal to begin again. On top of that, the music was just out of my reach of playability. I was constantly struggling to make some position changes on runs. I can still remember the back page of The Toreador Song, and how I would cringe every time it approached. And knowing that I was the one who was responsible for that slightly off sound in the cello section. Anyways, when the new season was beginning, I definitely didn't want to go back.

Time to go driving! To New Brunswick! Happy Easter, everyone...a little early.