Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Time for a nap.

wooden stirsticks seem like an uncommonly bad idea. I'm not very proactive about the environment (hah), but that seems like one of the most pain-free ways to at least reduce the whole tree cutting down thing. I know that Ben K believes that wooden stir sticks have magical powers (maybe they do), but honestly I think that a more permanent stir method should be started. Something just seems so wrong about picking the stir stick up, giving three quick swishes, and throwing it in the trash can. Such a limited time of usefulness. Do they make stir sticks out of recycled wood or something? And even with plastic ones, that sense of waste and all the energy that went into making it, seems evil for such a short life, then straight back to the dump.

Many of you must be thinking, "There are so many things in the world, and this is what Mandy picks to care about." Well, you'd be wrong. I don't really care. It's just that for 30 seconds, while I'm picking up, using, and throwing out that stir stick, a huge vision of waste opens up before me, and for a moment I'm repulsed. I suppose little things trigger this sensation in everyone. Perhaps every time Anne sees tuna she envisions churning water, and it all suddenly being stilled, and that is what makes her cringe.

So, I had my first painting class yesterday. We were just sitting around being told about materials needed and such, and how things will work. It's a 2.5 hour class, but only lasted about fifteen minutes. The professor seems like he did a lot of acid when he was young or something. He sat on a desk kicking his feet back and forth, and sort of never seemed to be aware of or care that he was actually speaking. This should be a pretty entertaining class.

Time for a nap.