Sunday, September 23, 2007

titles are hard

I have Wallace and Gromit socks, and they are soooo cool. Though they have a hole in the bottom. That is less cool. Even less cool is that the two washers on my floor have been broken by inexperienced frosh trying to wash way too many clothes in one load. Thank you, Frosh.

There's a "cathedral" next to my dorm that I pass on my way to classes. I like it, except that it means that I see how often funerals happen. It's depressing passing the little sign that says, "Funeral Parking," that's placed outside so frequently. What's even more depressing is when that sign is sitting out there and there are only five or ten cars in the parking lot.

Oh, to revisit the movie Stardust. Anne and Brad saw it, and thought it was fine (sorry if I'm misrepresenting your opinions), but certainly nothing too great. However, word on the street is that they both agreed that it was a "Mandy movie." So I suppose I'm considering this a caution to everyone not to take my good opinion of Stardust too seriously. It was a Me Movie.

I'd like to clarify the "some people who go to church are right bastards" quote. I couldn't tell the tone of your comment, and whether or not you were joking, Ben, but either way I'll put it into context. In my history and theory of psychology class, Dr. Edwards was talking about the flaws in some methodology. An example he brought up was that a psychologist who was looking at how religious the population was looked at how many people went to church as an indicator (don't mind the church only thing. The town I'm in right now is nicknamed The Little Vatican. That kind of thing sort of comes with teh territory, I guess). Anyways. Dr. Edwards was saying how, of course, whether you go to church or not doesn't really indicate whether or not you're religious, but that it's a decent stab at the idea. And that's when the quote about some people who go to church came in. Which is really kind of complimentary, since it seems to be suggesting that people who are religious are not "right bastards." So! That's what that was all about.

I think a couple of you might remember that I was auditioning for a chamber ensemble a while back. I didn't want to chat about it too much before I heard back, in case I didn't get in. But I did! There are nine other members: flute, clarinet, oboe, french horn, trumpet, three violins, and a piano. It's a big mish mash of instruments. The music department here is only jazz, and nothing classical or ensembley in nature has been around for at least ten years. So this group is just starting off. And the most amazing coincidence occurred during my audition.

One of the two people listening to it asked where I was from after I mentioned something about solo and ensemble contest, because apparently they call it "festival" around here, or that's the closest they come. I said Ohio, she said no kidding, me too, I asked where, she said Columbus, I said I was from Bexley, she said she went to Capital, and I asked if she knew Nancy Moore (my former private cello teacher), and she said YES! ...did I already write about this? Sorry if I did.

So, the Canadian and American dollar. Equal. Ouch. There are signs going up saying that the Canadian and American dollar will be exchanged equally until further notice. I bet that things in the states will be reaaaally slow about adjusting their exchange in tolls and stuff to accommodate that.

Well, I suppose I should actually get some reading done for classes...so I'll go do that. :(

Oh, the other day Chris and Nick put on this really random Make Blues Not War jam in front of the library. While Nick was appreciating how ridiculous the title was considering they were raising money for AIDS relief in Africa (through a Canadian grassroots thing that actually does a lot more than that), it was just making me feel self-conscious. :-P Aaanyways. Here they are playing. Nick is on guitar and Chris is playing on his little piano. I guess technically Chris plays trumpet.
Other things...here is a better view of Nicholson, where I have all my classes.
I'll be posting some photos from tonight, when I walked twenty minutes outside of town to see this band, Mishra's Dream. For those who have Facebook, enjoy. For those who don't, sorry.