Monday, March 05, 2007

The Illusionist/The Prestige

Well, it's been a while. Ooh, imdb's updated its site. I like it. Much cleaner.

Last week, I saw both The Illusionist and The Prestige. I heard a lot of people say that The Prestige was much better than The Illusionist. After seeing both, I don't really think that comparison should be made. The Illusionist is more of a romance/suspense that happens to have magic in it, while The Prestige is more of a thriller/suspense that is all about the magic.

So, The Illusionist. Edward Norton: Yes! Paul Giamatti: Sure, why not. Rufus Sewell: I love you. Jessica Biel: ...what?? When I see Edward Norton in a movie, I generally assume I'm going to at least like it. When I see Jessica Biel in a movie, I generally assume that I'm going to at least never want to see it. She's one of today's ...dare I say sex icons? Well, one of today's females who are considered a standard of attractiveness, and who regularly appear scantily clad on young men's desktop backgrounds. And I never really understood it. Now, Jessica Alba, I may not be a fan of, but I can see that she's pretty attractive. Jessica Biel, was not a fan of, and didn't see what actually made people think she was attractive. Until now! I am Jessica Biel Converted. I thought she was completely beautiful in the movie, and I loved all of her period dresses. No one's ever made that style look so good. I enjoyed the typical romance between Norton and Biel, separated by society's classes. And if the ending was a liiiiittle bit obvious, I was okay with that. Bottom of the line: An enjoyable romance.

The Prestige. Do Hugh Jackman's various accents annoy anyone else? I can't remember the last time I heard him actually be Australian. Anyways. While The Illusionist was fairly light, I thought The Prestige was much darker and ugly in its story. All about what revenge does to people. In the end, I didn't like almost everyone, except for Michael Caine's character. Go Michael Caine! Also, I thought that the way The Prestige was written, with like two flashbacks going on at once, took a little more effort to watch, but was more rewarding as it all built up towards the end.

I never realized that Christian Bale was British. And I also never realized how many things I've seen him in. When I saw him in The Prestige with an English accent, I was like, "Whoa, I'm a little bit impressed." For some bizarre reason, it didn't occur to me that he's the same guy from A Midsummer Night's Dream, Little Women, Swing Kids, and Newsies (three of my childhood favorites!). No wonder I like him so much. And I'm still very surprised about the whole being from Wales thing.

You know what movie I really liked? Equilibrium. Don't go see it, 'cause I think it was just me. (This thought is connected, because Christian Bale is the main character.)

So, spring break's over, and I'm back at school. Katie's boyfriend, Chris, is visiting for the week. Katie and Chris are two of the people I'm going to be living with next year, so it'll be nice getting to know Chris (it's also nice getting to know Katie, but I lived with her all last year and this year, so that isn't really a concern for me:-P).

For now...that's all I've got for news on the homefront.