Saturday, March 10, 2007

A Night in New Glasgow

Fear not, ye blog readers. Thanks to my lenient class schedule, I'll still be posting between classes.

Amazing discovery of the day: Pan's Labyrinth has actually come to Antigonish. I'm going to go see it Sunday, yay!

Today's adventure: 300! Things some people might not like: 1)It's not a complex movie by any stretch of the imagination. 2)Everything is done to excess--you might just explode at some point as you're bombarded by all the visual stimuli.

Buuut:

This is a recreation of a Frank Miller novel! Subtle nuances were not the idea. Again, this is a recreation of a Frank Miller novel! Over-the-top, graphic eye candy is what it's all about. There were really beautifully-created scenes, and some of the battle scenes were...awesome. The men in this film were half-naked the entire time, most definitely shirtless, and at times completely naked (not at all surprising for Frank Miller). And accordingly, every man was totally ripped. Ripped. So, in one scene, the 300 men are all sprinting towards and under the camera, and it's just...a huge fleet of 300 half-naked ripped men running by...one after the other. How is this not hilarious?! For those who love modesty and moderation, keep in mind that this is a Frank Miller graphic novel. Don't see it if you mind the nudity and blood. Just look at the way the title is written. :-P

Oh, also, this is loosely based on Frank Miller's novel, which is even more loosely based on history. So don't go in there expecting...accuracy.

Bottom line: I loved it! Beautifully crafted fight scenes.

Last night, I went to the gym, and I've discovered the magic of reading a magazine while on a bike/stair stepper thing. The time melts away. You know what scares me, though? Those girls who are on ellipticals, hands-free, zooming: whizz-whizz-whizz-whizz for like forty-five minutes straight, and then they just move on to the next machine. I would hate to be that girl. Seeing a movie like 300, though, inspires me to be totally fit and toned. Hopefully I'll get to be fit, but stay clear of manic exercise girl behavior--I think that everyone knows that this is hardly a real concern. :)