Friday, January 19, 2007

Computer Labs and Casual Sex

So, I'm sitting ina computer lab in the living sciences building. I don't think anyone knows that this computer lab EXISTS. And even if they did, they wouldn't come. The computers are so old, that there's a collective roar in the room, and the monitors' screens are iiiiitty bitty, but the monitors themselves are HUGE. I like the old school keyboards though. They're fun to type on, and make really loud clicking sounds. That doesn't matter, though, 'cause I'm the only on in here. No one to bother. It's not like this is some tiny hole in the wall computer lab, either. There are 25 computers in here rotting, until campus technology service decides they want to have fun beating them up in a field with a baseball bat a la Office Space.
Yesterday was an unusual day for me blogging-wise. I had a lot to talk about, plus lots of breaks between classes. True, I could have been reading my textbooks...but what fun would that have been?
Besides, without all this free time, I wouldn't get to tell you guys all about the casual sex study by Clark and Hatfield in 1989. We're starting the Attraction and Liking chapter in social psychology, and one of the early topics brought up were gender differences between males and females in society, and an evolutionary versus social roles theory for these differences. Amidst this debate, there's a study to see gender differences in receptivity to offers of casual sex. I just find this funny. This study took place on different American college campuses. The questioners were either attractive males or females, depending on the sex of the randomly approached participant.
In the first condition, the attractive confederate approached a member of the opposite gender randomly, and asked this question, "I've noticed you around campus, and I think you're very attractive. Would you go out on a date with me tonight?"
Women: 55% agreed
Men: 50% agreed
In the second condition, same situation, but the question asked was, "I've noticed you around campus, and I think you're very attractive. Would you go back to my apartment with me tonight?"
Women: 6% agreed
Men: 69% agreed
In the third condition, same situation, but the question asked was, "I've noticed you around campus, and I think you're very attractive. Would you have sex with me tonight?"
Women: 0% agreed
Men: 75% agreed
Very interesting, and very funny.