Sunday, January 21, 2007

Lots to Talk About

I'm going to guess that this title didn't hold as much promise for Jaime as "Computer Labs and Casual Sex" did. However, I have lots of very interesting (to me) things to write about.

The first:
On Friday night, there was an insane rainstorm (after days and days of snow). It actually felt like a hurricane with the winds. The house was creaking and groaning under the strain, and perfectly closed doors were forced open by this maelstrom. Upon looking up the exact definition of maelstrom, I realize that this isn't a whirlpool, but it does suggest the chaos and strength of it well, so I'm keeping it. So nit-picky vocabbers back off. Anyways. After a couple of hours of this crazy wind, the lights started dimming in and out. And in and out. Until, at ten, all the electricity went off. I expected it to come back on pretty soon again, while I waited in complete pitch black. But no. They didn't. Apparently Jessie had a flashlight, so we all (except Curtis, who was elsewhere) ended up in the kitchen. In the whole house, we only had Jessie's flashlight, I had one candle, and Katie had one candle. So what did we do? We all sat down to play cards. First, we played two games of SkipBo, which took a surprisingly long time, and then we played crazy eights. Due to using two decks of cards, the twos and queens of spades came out like nuts. Instead of playing down to one, we were all exhausted, so we stopped as soon as someone reached five. By that time, I think it was twelve thirty or something, and we called it a night. The power came back on at 3am. It was odd, though, how this crazy socializing happened as soon as all tv, internet, and xbox live were unavailable. I can see how communities could become soo tightly knit in these circumstances. I can also see why going to bed at nine or earlier was even more reasonable. With the flash on, it looks like a perfectly normal game of cards. When you take the flash off, you get to see how it actually looked.

The second:
Saturday night, I actually had a little bit of a social life. Tim and I went over to this girl Alison's place, and we played Settlers with her and her boyfriend, Craig. Craig, Alison, and Tim are all from Rothesay, NB, and went to high school together. First of all, it was nice hanging out with another couple. I'm not used to that, but I felt a lot more comfortable, and I wasn't worrying about making someone uncomfortable or feel left out. Second of all, I felt like I was forcing them to play Settlers, which I didn't want to do, but they seemed pretty up for it. Sure enough, though, they loved it. As soon as we were done with the first game, Craig wanted to play a second. We ended up staying til 12:30. Craig and Alison are the type of people who I'd like to be friends with. Not wired with hyperness, you can sit and talk with them, and you're not expected to get drunk off your face or anything. It's nice.

The third:
Today is Katie's birthday! She turned 20. I have noooo idea why, but her family has a tradition of putting butter on someone's nose on their birthday. Last year, Katie's Mom called me and told me how incredibly serious it was that I accomplished this. I had to go out and buy butter, since I'd had no need for it before. :-P But I did it. And this year, I remembered. She toootally thought I wouldn't. So, there was nose buttering madness, and Tim, Kale, Jessie, Virica, and I all took Katie out to Boston Pizza for a birthday dinner. My dyed hair's in there, if you can see. I'm a brunette! My next post will probably be on knitting, so brace yourself. Knitting and lots of pictures of Jibbles for Jaime. Jibbles is a very cute cat. Much cuter than the ceiling cat seen previously on here.

So, happy birthday, Katie!!!