Thursday, January 18, 2007

Impromptu Infomercial & a question

These times between classes, sitting on the computer, mucnhing on an apple and drinking ice cold water, not going outside where it is cold, are so perfect. Getting to browse everyone's blogs and enter foods into fitday.com while looking at fun graphs that pertain to me. By the way, if anyone ever wants to lose weight or find out how they're doing nutrition-wise, or just has free time and wants to have fun, I toootally recommend fitday.com. Every day you can enter what you eat, and it will tell give you a little pie graph with breakdowns of your food by carbohydrates, protein, fat, and alcohol. Then you can see how many grams of each of these things your getting, how many calories are coming from each thing, what percentage of your daily intake each is, and what your totally calorie count for the day is. And that's just the homepage. The rest of it is even more nutrition-tracking fun. If you want to lose weight, there's the weight page, where you can enter what weight you want to weigh by what day, and it tells you how many pounds you have to lose per week and how many days you have left, and shows how healthy your current weight is. On other pages you can check and see if you're getting all the vitamins etc. that you're supposed to need, enter the fitness activities that you do for hte day and see how many extra calories you've burned from that, ....basically, the fun graphs are just ENDLESS. And did I mention that it's free?

So, that was a fun infomercial.

Oftentimes, I'm trying to finish my apple before a class begins, so I'm standign out in the hallway, and more often than not, I find myself standing down into something gross. Yesterday it was one of those ash trays that stick out from the wall and have two decades of grime inside. The day before that, it was the trash can. Why do I do that? I would prefer not to be staring down at amazingly gross things while I eat...but I do. Maybe my subconscious is trying to self-handicap my eating process and thus make me skinnier. Tricky, subconscious. Veeeeerry tricky.

Do you guys ever get tired of taking notes? Every day in class, for four or so hours, I sit writing solid, and sometimes it feels like my brain is just turned off. Sometimes, I switch to print just to change the flow and give my hand a break. Anyone remember Brock's enormous writing bump on his middle finger? I'm starting to get that. Not really, mine's tiny. But still, it's there!

About a week or so ago, the door to Tim's room locked us out (stupid lock). All of our books were in there, as well as our shoes and coats, and class was coming up in half an hour. We couldn't get ahold of the landlord, so we went outside barefoot, stood on a chair, and tried to open teh windows. No doing. We tried to pick the lock. No doing. I gently tried breaking the door in. Shockingly, that option didn't work. We tip-toed back outside, and tried to force the window open. The storm window outside glass broke. Whoops. So we got the inside window open, and I shimmied inside. We got our books and shoes, and made it to class, yay! Now, however, the storm window is broken. The windows are ancient, but I don't know what to do about it. Should I try to replace the storm section of the window myself? Can you even buy storm windows like that, without the rest of the window coming with it? These things were tight. Now that the storm window's not there, cold air is just sweeping into Tim's room. We keep the door closed so that it won't suck the heat out of hte rest of the house. Should I just ignore it and give the landlord the damage deposit and let him deal with it? Should I get dad to come up, and say, "Daddy, what do I do? Help me." Either way, I'm not doing anything until some of this snow melts. So, I'd love all you homeowners' advice.

I signed the lease for a house for next year. Yay! It's a five bedroom place, really close to campus. There's a nice-sized kitchen, two full baths, and 60-gallon hot water heater. The rent's only 425 a month, and it includes everything, water, electricity, heat, high-speed internet, cable, phone, and there are internet, cable, and phone jacks in every single room. Suhweet. Plus, thermostats for every room and little ventilatey thingies. And the best part of all: It's only an eight month lease!! The landlord is this guy who cooks at the Moonlight Diner, one of two Chinese restaurants in town (not good, don't go there). His name is Simon, and he speaks with such a heavy Chinese accent that it took me a while to begin to decipher it. At first, I was sort of nervous and thought maybe this was his way of saying all these things about the lease and policies, and getting us to nod our heads like we knew what he was talking about, while he pulled the wool over our eyes and we agreed to outrageous things that would kill us later. After a couple of visits with him, though, I realized that he's a really, really nice guy. He tried really hard to make sure that we understood everything about the lease, and everything about the apartment. I'll be living with Katie, her boyfriend Chris, who is transferring from LeHigh University in Pennsylvania, Tim, and this guy we found to be the fifth. So, yay, happy news!