Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Capitulant

Yeah, so, I did it. Took long enough. Bad timing, though: Digital camera is currently somewhere in airline limbo, since it was in my bag that US Airways LOST, and I haven't seen in the last two weeks. Thus, no one gets any cool pictures, dommage.

So, here I am in Nova Scotia...again. It's awesome. While everyone else is still suffering from heat waves (in some places :-P), I already have cool breezes that I layer up against. And, there's bizarre weather. Walking into town today, it was sunny, windy, with this bizarre mist blowing everywhere. I was soaked in the sun, and couldn't even see what was doing it.

Everyone knows that my life is one struggle at a time for independence against my stranger and strange situation phobic self. Lately, Tim has been sending me on "Independent Mandy" missions that I have to accomplish by the end of the day. Going out by myself, dealing with people, whatever. I surprised both of us two days ago at Tim Hortons by asking, "Is it possible to get that meal with a muffin instead of a donut?" Shocking, I know.

Oh,no. The button on my pants finally just broke. Saw that one coming for a while. Don't worry, though. I have a needle and thread in the drawer!

So, I live in this house. Twelve Xavier Drive. Since I go to St. Francis Xavier University, this seems like an extremely boring name for a street, eh? Yeah. It's about a fifteen minute walk from the edge of the campus, which for me, seems like *far* too long. The grocery's about a half an hour away, but the Dollar Store's only like twelve minutes away, so I'm set. :-P

The house is ranch style, and from outside, it looks tiny. Thank goodness, though, when you walk inside it seems to magically expand like the tents in Harry Potter during the Quidditch World Cup. I have five roommates. Three of them I knew. Tim, Katie, and Jessie (Katie's friend. Doesn't like me very much.). Curtis arrived yesterday. He's the former president of my former dorm (MacIsaac), which makes him a hardcore partier, because that res wouldn't vote for anyone else. He wants everyone to call him Stricht (last name: Strichtland). I don't think there's anyway I'm doing that. Kale, the other unknown variable, arrived today. At first, I was extremely disappointed. Wannabe gangster with no clue. However, he's a wannabe gangster with no clue who cooks really awesome cookies, uses my favorite scent of shampoo (Herbal Essences Citrus Lift!), and seems like a total homebody.

I have a lime green seventies shag carpet.

....I love it. It's so horrible.

My room's a mess, 'cause I'm keeping my kitchen supplies on my bookshelves with my clothes, and I've never been one for organization, so my desk is messy with nothing.

Scheduling was terrible this year. I couldn't get into the English class I wanted, so I applied for an override to get into th efull class anyway. In case I didn't get that, I wanted to get into another class as a backup. Nothing fit. I even tried to get into physics. Physics!! Eventually, I found a psych class that fit. That means I'm taking three psych classes! Oy.

Social Psychology w/ lab
Developmental Psychology
Research and Statistics for Psych w/ lab
French 110 (woohoo!) w/ lab
Drawing 100 -YES! I've always wanted an art course.

Made chili tonight for tomorrow. If I may say so, it's not half bad. Had no idea what I was doing, except that it involved meat, chili seasoning, and lots of Mexican-y ingredients. Also made a mean lemon herb chicken thing with rice, and it's the first satisfying dinner I've had since I arrived. Cooking seems to be the way forward.

So, yeah. I like my house. I'm gonna start scouting for a place for next year. I'll be as close to the university as possible.

Let's see if this blogging thing actually continues....