Thursday, September 14, 2006

CtrlAltDel, Ivan, The Smiler

Almost all of my professors use Powerpoint for their lectures, so every single lecture hall has a projector with the computerish podium, and before the prof starts up, the standard log-in waiting page sits there. "Please press Ctrl Alt Del to view the log-in page." Or something like that. Today, there was a new feature though. A diagram *above* the CtrlAltDel window showing the user *how* to press CtrlAltDel. There was a picture of a keyboard on screen, with the keys flashing, coming out of the keyboard, and then on by one being pressed down by invisible fingers, which released them all at once. This amused me for a long time. Am I a snob?

Speaking of CtrlAltDel, I suppose I might as well mention that I'm addicted to some webcomics online. I check every day, and laugh with childish glee. One of the webcomics I read is ctrlaltdel-online.com. It's about these two gamer nerds and their pathetic issues with coping/just living life in a society where some people don't care about games, paying the rent matters, and you're not supposed to be able to build robots out of X-Boxes to play with you whenever you want. And said "X-Bot" is not supposed to become a dear friend named Zeke who of course is an awesome player, but doesn't really understand human emotion. So, yes, this is a funny comic. There's a reclusive roomie (Linux user) with pet penguin, the gamer girl, and plenty of ridiculous and wonderful scenarios. Oh, there are also random posts where the webcomic author essentially does a review of a new game, or mimics it. Like here: Steve's Day at the Mall Parts 1 through 4. As many of you may guess, yes, it is about Dead Rising, and probably won't be funny at *all,* unless maybe you've been reading Brad's posts on it. The author's news posts on the main page are also very funny, and keep me up to date on some of hte gaming stuff going on out there, despite my complete lack of gaming. Iguess you might say that it keeps me enough in the loop that I can have a decent conversation with a gamer.

I love my university. Last year, there was this janitor (is that un-PC? Too bad.) who cleaned my floor of MacIsaac every day. The first time I saw him, he introduced himself, asked my name, and every day after that, as I blearily wandered down the hall to teh bathroom, or out to classes, I got a friendly, "Hello, Mandy! How are you?" He learned *everyone's* name, and when I came back this year, I thought, "How sad that Ivan won't be around now." But when I went to my first day of classes, in Nicholson Hall (the generic academic building), there he was! "Hi, Ivan!" "Hello, Mandy! How are you today?" YAY! He's the sweetest little old man. Sometimes we had little conversations, where he'd say that some of the university employees complained about how things were, but that he was happy, and liked it here. In general, he was just a great guy. So, I'm happy, 'cause I have people like Ivan around to say hi to.

There's this girl in one of my psych classes who turns around and looks at me, and smiles. It's really odd. I mean, it wasn't odd the first two times, but she just does it so often, and every class too. I don't know her or anything either. Weird.