Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Various Things

A) What's really funny about the area of Nova Scotia that I'm in is that it's all about "being Scottish" around here. There's a Hall of Clans in the library that I like to go to for studying, and Antigonish hosts the largest Highland Games in Canada...or North America....I think. Tartans are all around in the windows of many shops, with the full regalia offered in some. What's *really* funny, though, is the way this affects everyone's names. Kessler's generally a pretty middle of the alphabet name. I'm used to being #14, 15, or 16 in class roll call out of 30. Here, though, I'm in at least the first third of the class alphabetically. I've never before felt so early in the alphabet sense. And why is that? Because of all the MACs. The other day, my professor was doing roll call ('cause it was the first day of class), and said, "You know you're in Nova Scotia when...," and proceeded to go down all the Macs. MacDonald, MacDonald, MacDougal, MacIsaac, MacKinnon, MacMillan, MacNeil, MacPherson, MacPherson, ...and on....and on.... I would hate to be a Mac, and have my last name lost in a sea of the other Macs here.

B) I got my hair cut. Yay!!! I found this girl last year who I like a lot, went to her again, and I still her. :) Hurrah. Due to extremely evil US Airways people, I still don't have my bag (I'll save that full story for its own post), and thus still don't have my digital camera. Never fear!! I still have my webcam with which to take pictures. So, here is a mediocre picture of my new haircut. Slightly edgier than usual? I think so. I bet this probably doesn't look that different, but my hair had actually gotten quite long very quickly. And it's been years since it's been this short. Give me feedback: Would going brunette be a terrible idea?? I actually want a response here. Give me your opinion.

C) I had my first French lab yesterday. I was terrified that we were all going to be sitting in a small pow-wow speaking only French to each other constantly and bein g judged. Luckily, thanks to our technilogical society, I walked straight into the best environment imaginable: A computer lab. With a headset and microphone, I get to have French spoken into my ear for an hour with me at hte controls, and speak into and record myself talking for the professors to review. Then, hopefully less than half of hte time, we'll actually be talking to each other. 8-[
Anyways, so far so good. There were only two people there other than me, yesterday. Amusingly, my French prof told us that there were no labs for at least ten days. Just in case, I stopped by. There was my lab professor, sitting at the front, waiting for people to arrive. So I got a very one-on-one tour through the programs, and supported part of a conversation, of which my half was comically broken, barely coherent French. It's worse, 'cause my lab prof's actually French. His French was so quiet, murmured, and fast that I could barely catch a word of it. My first art class is tomorrow. This should be fun. :)