Friday, August 24, 2007

Gathered thoughts

The poor pinky. I don't know about viola and violin, but on cello especially it takes a rougher beating than the other four fingers. Yesterday, after having not played in ages, I foolishly jumped back in headfirst, and ended up with a huge burst blister. It was all red, and painful beyond where the blister was, just to touch. Today, Dad asked me to play some. I was like, "My pinky hurts." He reminded me that I played through much worse with the upright jazz bass, so I agreed. I got through about fifteen measures and had to stop. It seems that blisters from plucking on a bass's arco strings (as contrasted with jazz strings, which are softer and designed for more projection when plucked) are much easier to bear than a blister on the left hand pressing down on the string, even if they're not as bad technically. I was sweating and shaking from the effort of pushing down on the string with it, and had to stop, as I was getting blister juice all over my strings and fingerboard. Deeelicious.

I don't know about you, but a question that has plagued me is, where is/are the seed(s) in a banana? Are they those little black specks throughout the middle? Is it that one long black thing in the base? Well, today Wikipedia told me: Although the wild species have fruits with numerous large, hard seeds, virtually all culinary bananas have seedless fruits. There you have it! No seeds!

With amusement, Ben K, you asked if it was I and not Dad who rated Beauty and the Beast five stars. It occurs to me now that you were thinking of Disney's Beauty and the Beast, when what I rated five stars was Jean Cocteau's 1946 Beauty and the Beast. I feel so unashamed.

I see that Ben and Jaime have Equilibrium in their queue. Just remember, I really liked this movie for the fight scenes. Wait wait wait. You liked Underworld. If you can appreciate Underworld for what it is, then you can appreciate Equilibrium for what it is.

I hate hate hate the 100MB limit on videos with youtube and now blogger. I don't have any video editing thing, so I can't chop things down to fit and publish them. Jaime, you posted that long video of the dance with the sticks (lol, I think of Bride and Prejudice here) in the Indian community get-together thing. That was pretty long. How'd you do that? I have a little measly one minute or less video that I can't post.

Well, it's midnight, and tonight I'll go to bed early. Oh, and good news: I'm allowed to move into my residence on Monday (instead of Wednesday) so there'll be no trouble with transportation or anything! Hurrah! This makes me endlessly happy.