Friday, August 03, 2007

Thank you notes

are obsolete. If someone sent me a present, and they weren't with me, or there were no phones or email, maybe then I'd send a thank you note. But honestly, if the person's with me when I open it, I'll thank them then in person. If they're not, I would (hypothetically) call them to say hi and, btw, thanks for the awesome gift, I'm using it as we speak. I've never seen much good from thank you notes. They cost money to buy and send, they clutter up the house of the person they were sent to, the messages inside are always somewhat awkward as you attempt to put in words the appreciation that you may or may not actually feel, and then they're just going to be taking up space in a land fill, since who would keep a thank you note.

And that, my friends, is why you'll never get a thank you note from me.

I'm in Ohio right now, and I appear to have arrived the week that hell came to earth, because it is so hot. I'm in the middle of Jane Eyre and I love it; it's a total page turner. As far as personality, I completely identified with Jane Eyre, until she became selfless and patient. So I guess the child Jane Eyre. How sad that I most identify with a ten year old character. Did I mention that I got an adorable little old hardback of the book in the Calais Bookstore? I love it.

I've been partially writing a lot of blog entries lately, and not publishing them. I will summarize one of them, though: I saw the movie Brad recommended, The Host, with Ben K, and I loved it. It was hilarious and sweet and worth seeing, with some sad bits. I hate sad bits.

Other movie watching of note: I saw The Simpsons last night, and Hairspray the night before. Watching a musical with someone who's not necessarily a musical fan is a terrible thing. You keep warning them beforehand, "This is a musical, you know, they're going to be breaking out into song and dance and there will be no expression of remorse on their faces. Do you still want to see it?" But still, I feel a little self-conscious watching a musical with someone who's not a musical lover. A little embarrassed. Nevertheless, I persevered, and managed to love Hairspray. I'm not familiar with the broadway version, so I couldn't critique how things were changed, what songs were cut and what were kept, or anything. But for anyone who can stand a song and dance, I'd go see it. Afterwards I felt like hte world was an overwhelmingly positive place, and I wanted to go around singing and dancing spontaneously with people I don't know. This if, of course, a common side effect of musicals, for people who enjoy them. So I mean not Brad. And The Simpsons. Good movie. I liked it. That's about it about The Simpsons. I don't know if you'd consider this a spoiler or not, but, if you care a lot about this, beware:

***Spoiler for Simpsons***





This so doesn't count as a spoiler. Better to be cautious, though. At the end, Maggie says a word, and honestly, that was hte biggest letdown ever. I can't believe they did that. Some good laughs throughout it, though.

And that, my friends, is the end of this brief bit of blogging. There are chunks of cinnamon in the bottom of my chai, and that is gross. Time to go read Jane Eyre.