Saturday, August 11, 2007

Movie post

I'm embracing my supershort hair. It takes like two seconds to blow dry, and instead of having to put it back in a ponytail when I want to wash my face, I can just run my wet hands through it a couple of times and it stays all slicked back! Awesome.

Pet peeve: People on Facebook who list their status so that it doesn't make a sensible sentence on purpose. Example: Mandy is tonight= mischief, Mandy is I need a job!, Mandy is Ozzfest was amazing. It's not cool, original, or breaking out of the mold at all; it just makes it look like they're stupid to form a sentence.

Now, to the real point of this entry: Stardust was surprisingly awesome. I guess I didn't really know what to expect going in, but it wasn't this. It didn't take itself too seriously, and had some good laughs. There's a pretty good chance, though (definitely), that my delight in this movie is aided by my love and easy acceptance of fantasy. Things that people might cringe at, it doesn't even occur to me to think odd. But by all means, see this movie, and tell me what you think. I think it deserves more than the 73% that rottentomatoes gives it. If it weren't a compilation thing, I'd give Stardust an 85% fo sho. Oh, and I can't stand Claire Danes, but this movie made me almost like her. And I love this guy's coat.

I might've spoken about this before, but I don't remember. Equilibrium. It seems like a very under appreciated and noticed movie. I mean, sure, it doesn't have anything too original in it. Same old dystopia, 1984/Brave New World schpiel. But! The fight scenes, my friends, the fight scenes. Watching Christian Bale pistol-whip and gunsword ("gun kata") fight guys was pretttty awesome. And I also really liked the music used throughout it. So, ye lovers of katanas and gun fights, I'd give this a look-see.

Brad mentioned suffering from the loud laugher at movies, a fate I'm sure we've all shared occasionally. I myself sometimes let out the obnoxiously loud guffaw, but I do make an effort to keep myself to myself. However, while I was watching Stardust, a more peculiar and obnoxious fate befell me: the loud clapper. I was watching the movie, and all of a sudden, BAM!! this guy lets out two or three of the loudest, most startling claps I've ever heard, while cackling with glee. At first I thought maybe he was special or something, you know, but then I realized, clearly this was a guy who had read the book and just couldn't keep his excitement to himself. He kept doing this clapping thing periodically throughout the movie, and it was as unpleasant a surprise every time as it was the first time.